Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's in a name?

About a month ago, I came to the painful conclusion that I was fighting an uphill battle by offering to write SEO content, yet offering it on erickpettersen.com. I chose to name my site erickpettersen.com for two reasons. The first was that I consider myself a man of many talents and the other was that I wanted to get my name out there before I got my product out there. Now, that I have chosen which of my many talents I feel is the most financially lucrative, as well as I feel I have gotten my name out there, it is time for me to start marketing the service I offer.

So, yesterday I launch my new site (http://www.seobridges.com), which features a slightly new design and different services than before. I chose this name because for the last few months the saying, “Building social bridges one word at a time” has appeared on almost every page of my site. So, when I checked Godaddy and saw that that name was available, I snatched it up. Then, for the next month, which has been for about the last month, I redesigned my site.

After a month of hard work, the work is not yet over. The work is never over. For anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit, we know that the work is never over. Yet, for us, it’s almost like the ultimate chess game of the mind.

When I lived in Boston I adopted the motto, “the approach is everything,” and that attitude landed me a pretty decent job in the hospitality industry. When I started looking for a job, I had little money, but I knew if I didn’t look the part no one would take me seriously. And if nothing else, I knew I wouldn’t take me seriously. So, I shelled out some big bucks for a new suit and a nice pair of shoes. I think I wore them three or four times, but that fourth time was the golden ticket.

During my tenure with that company, which required me to act ac liaison between our clients and other businesses, a client asked me why I chose to use a certain business over others. (I can’t tell you much because they might be listening; though, the company was Circles, for those of you who might know of them). Anyhow, I told my client that I chose that business for two reasons: when I looked at their website, it was very professionally done; and when I called and told them of the reason for my call, they were very polite and answered all of my questions. In their case, the approach was everything. The next day, my client called me back, after I had put her in contact with the business and she said she was very pleased that I had chosen them.

So, I am not wearing a suit. I haven’t worn a suit for more than 6 months. I dress nice when I go out, but a suite would be overkill. The approach is everything. Now that I’ve gotten my name out there, it’s time to start getting my business out there. Erickpettersen.com was my way of introducing myself to the San Diego community. Now that I feel I have done that, it’s time for the service I offer to take the lead. In that sense, introducing myself, and now introducing my services is the approach.

Check out my services. I offer various packages and specials, especially for non-profits organizations; and you can hire me on Agentspayingforward.com. In the future, I hope to offer my services as Green SEO content, but first I need to focus on what’s right in front of me.
Keep connecting,

No comments:

Post a Comment